Cleveland Clinic will begin installing additional electric vehicle charging stations this month, with support from a grant offered by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
The Ohio EPA offered a one-time $3.25 million grant in 2020 to support the installation of electric vehicle charging stations in 26 Ohio counties through resources from the Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Fund.
Cleveland Clinic applied for all eligible hospitals and family health centers. The Ohio EPA selected 22 of the 40 Cleveland Clinic sites that best met grant criteria to receive up to 62 ports/124 electric vehicle charging spaces last year. In part, sites were selected based on proximity to major roads, amenities and existing chargers.
This initiative supports Cleveland Clinic’s commitment to clean air and healthy communities. Electric vehicle chargers will be publicly available for patients, caregivers and visitors. They will be compatible with all current models of electric vehicles.
A Cleveland Clinic team conducted site visits with local electric utilities and the installer, Blink Charging, to determine the best locations for the new charging stations. Currently, Cleveland Clinic has 14 charging spaces at four locations in Northeast Ohio.
These level two charging stations produce 80 amps of output, providing up to 65 miles of charge in an hour. Level two chargers are the most prevalent type of charger in the United States and can be found in many public locations.
The first wave of installations is expected this summer at Avon, Euclid and Medina hospitals, Mentor Family Health Clinic, Strongsville Family Health Center and Willoughby Hills Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy.
Here is the full list of Cleveland Clinic sites:
- Akron General Hospital
- Akron General Lodi Hospital
- Akron General Medical Center (Bath)
- Akron General Health and Wellness (Stow)
- Amherst Family Health Center
- Avon Hospital
- Avon Lake Family Health Center
- Avon Pointe Family Health Center
- Beachwood Family Health & Surgery Center
- Brunswick Family Health Center
- Chagrin Family Health Center
- Elyria Family Health & Surgery Center
- Euclid Hospital
- Independence Family Health Center
- Lorain Family Health & Surgery Center
- Medina General
- Mentor Hospital
- Strongsville Family Health & Surgery Center
- Twinsburg Family Health & Surgery Center
- Willoughby Hills Family Health Center (two buildings)
- Willoughby Hills Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy
If additional grants become available, Cleveland Clinic will install chargers at more locations.