Dominic Perrottet has opened Sydney’s new $828million Allianz Stadium after the rebuild almost cost his government an election.
The New South Wales Premier marked the occasion by kicking a rugby ball across the world class Moore Park entertainment facility on Sunday afternoon – while wearing a suit and tie with leather shoes.
Plans to demolish and rebuild the stadium ruffled the feathers of the opposition and the majority of voters when first announced back in 2017.
Former premier Gladys Berejiklian cited concerns about accessibility and safety of the stadium with its replacement part of a $2billion revamp package.
The NSW Premier kicked a rugby ball across the brand new grounds in Moore Park, in the city’s east, on Sunday afternoon
Dominic Perrottet has opened Sydney’s new $828million Allianz Stadium after the rebuild almost cost his government an election (pictured, the premier sits inside a changing room)
The then-Labor leader Michael Daley flatly refused to rebuild the stadium and said the 2019 election would reveal how voters really felt about the upgrade.
Mr Perrottet on Sunday admitted his party had ‘lost a lot of political skin’ over the new venue – which has cost $38million more than initial estimates in 2019.
He defended the additional cost and said the ‘world class’ stadium would see NSW prioritized for hosting the best events and performances.
‘This has been a long journey. But today we open a world-class stadium for our world-class people,’ the premier said on Sunday.
‘There are always challenges with building great venues and great infrastructure.
“But you’ve just got to push through and do what’s right.”
Mr Perrottet admitted his party had ‘lost a lot of political skin’ over the new venue which has cost $38million over initial estimates made in 2019 (pictured on Sunday)
The NSW premier defended the additional cost and said the ‘world class’ stadium would put prioritise NSW for hosting future events and performances
The stadium will be christened by a clash between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Sydney Roosters on Friday – with the long-time NRL rivals coincidentally the last teams to play at the venue before construction began.
The upgraded stadium boasts a 360 degree concourse with guests to receive food and beverage catering by hospitality giant Merivale.
The number of accessible seats have jumped from 28 to 500 while the number of women’s toilets has increased from 113 to 600 – meaning attendees will spend less time in lines and more time enjoying the action.
The stadium will host Guy Sebastian and Baker Boy during its official opening ceremony on Sunday evening – and will welcome the Wallabies and the Springboks in a highly-anticipated match on Saturday.
Arts and Tourism Minister Ben Franklin said the entertainment facility would host a variety of events – namely an upcoming woman’s soccer clash between the Matildas and Canada.
The stadium will host Guy Sebastian and Baker Boy during its official opening ceremony on Sunday evening – and will welcome the Wallabies and the Springboks on Saturday
Arts and Tourism Minister Ben Franklin said the stadium would host a variety of events – namely an upcoming clash between the Matildas and Canada
‘This is much more than a sporting stadium. This is an entire entertainment precinct,” Mr Franklin said.
‘This all plays into our vision of being the premier visitor economy of the Asia Pacific. We know that we can bring in $65 billion a year by 2030.
‘This stadium is going to be at the heart of that with extraordinary cultural, sporting and entertainment events.’
Sports Minister Alistair Henskens agreed the stadium will be ‘all about the people’ however NRL boss Peter V’landys is yet to be convinced.
“The stadium is in its honeymoon period,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
‘Its real test is when it’s analyzed in 12 months.’
The footy boss was last week forced into a humiliating retreat when he announced the NRL grand final will remain in Sydney despite publicly lobbying against the NSW Government since April.
The updated stadium boasts a 360 degree concourse with food and beverage catering provided by hospitality giant Merivale (pictured, Mr Perrottet kicks a rugby ball on Sunday)
Sports Minister Alistair Henskens agreed the stadium would be ‘all about the people’ however NRL boss Peter V’landys (pictured in September, 2020) is yet to be convinced
‘Dom is a very good premier and a very good human being but don’t have a bet with him because if you do he won’t pay you,’ V’landys said.
‘It has been a hard decision because the Queensland premier has been fantastic to deal with. I should point out the NSW government has succeeded this year, but this is only for one year. Negotiations will recommand for future grand finals.’
The war began in April, when V’landys fired an ominous warning to Mr Perrottet that rugby league’s biggest showpiece could head to Queensland for a second year.
The NRL was at loggerheads with the state government over funding for suburban grounds, with V’landys openly critical of the decision to back down from a $800million upgrade of Accor Stadium.