Danish Red Cross (DRC) is looking for an experienced Mental Health and Psychosocial Support professional to join our global team of MHPSS advisors and work to ensure that people have capacities to promote, achieve and sustain mental health and psychosocial well-being.
In this position you will be using your skills and experience to ensure quality and further development of DRCs MHPSS portfolio. MHPSS is part of DRC’s work in both emergency, recovery, and long-term programming. MHPSS in DRC aims to prevent further distress and promote mental health and psychosocial wellbeing, and as such, primarily supports partner National Societies to implement activities whilst ensuring referral to other levels of care.
You will play a leading role in the development and dissemination of guidelines, policies and strategies needed to ensure quality. You will be responsible for quality assurance and documentation of MHPSS initiatives and provide strategic guidance on studies, reviews and research related to MHPSS in DRC. Furthermore, you are expected to ensure that PFA and Caring for Staff and Volunteers activities are developed and rolled out, and for ensuring that DRC is represented in relevant networks and international forums related to research and the two technical areas mentioned.
You will become a core member of the global MHPSS technical team in the newly established Quality and Impact Unit. The position is based at the DRC headquarters in Copenhagen, and frequent travel is to be expected (up to 40% of time).
As a core member of the MHPSS team you will have a technical reference line to the MHPSS Lead and a management reporting line to the Head of the Quality and Impact unit. You will work particularly close with other colleagues in the MHPSS technical team, as well as with the health technical team. Additionally, you are to coordinate and work with relevant colleagues in the International Department at HQ, and beyond as needed.
- Provide technical support, including capacity development, quality assurance and reporting
- Ensure a uniformed approach to M&E for MHPSS in DRC incl. development of relevant tools
- Conduct reviews and studies, and support on relevant research
- Develop and roll out PFA and Caring for Staff and Volunteers activities
- Develop technical guidelines and standards for MHPSS
- Represent DRC in relevant external network/forums, and co-lead a working group on “PFA pledge”
- Ensure coordination with relevant DRC offices and technical advisors
- Available for undertaking surge mission (ability to deploy as part of first rotation)
- Support the MHPSS Lead on ad-hoc tasks
- Support tasks in the Technical Quality and Impact unit
Experience and skills
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in MHPSS after qualifying.
- Field experience in a conflict or natural disaster-generated emergency context.
- Experience and skills in organizational capacity development incl. mentoring and building skills in staff and volunteers on MHPSS, PGI, health and child protection.
- Experience with program development and related fundraising vis à vis donors.
- Ability to travel frequently for periods of 1-4 weeks up to 40% of time.
- Advanced written and spoken English is required; knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated skills in development of MHPSS tools/material and facilitation of training.
- Experience in one or more of the following: working in MHPSS services, working for or volunteering with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office package
- A structured, independent, and proactive approach to tasks.
- Strong team-player skills and ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication, coordination, negotiation, networking, and facilitation skills.
- Confidence in situations of stress, and able to handle a heavy but varied workload for a long period.
- Understanding that process and ownership are key to achieving results in culturally and politically sensitive environments.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Prepared to contribute to a positive working environment
Your future workplace
The Danish Red Cross is part of the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. Along with the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), and 192 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the Danish Red Cross is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The Danish Red Cross is a member and volunteer-based organization with 202 local branches in Denmark and more than 30,000 volunteers, and with international projects in Africa, Asia, and the MENA region.
DRC works both with long-term activities and short-term response particularly within health, disaster preparedness and response, and displacement and migration.
DRC encourages people from various backgrounds to apply.
The position is full-time and is located at DRC headquarters in Copenhagen. You will refer to the Head of Technical Quality and Impact unit.
Salary and employment conditions will comply with Danish Red Cross’s collective bargain agreement with HK and AC and will be between DKK 41,300 – 47,600 per month incl. pension, and according to qualifications and experience. It is an HQ position and the salary package does not include family or housing allowances.
How to apply
For further information about the position please write to MHPSS Lead, Louise Kryger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline is September 11, 2022, please apply via our website. Interviews will take place in mid-September 2022. Expected start date is November 1, 2022.