Space technology is one of the most exciting technologies that significantly impacts people’s lives in numerous ways, saving thousands of lives annually through disaster warnings, weather forecasting, and climate monitoring. The main objective of this field of space technology is to support design and development of satellites, facilitate space exploration, and space flight. Did you know space technology has influenced many modern and emerging technologies in your home even?
Students with a B.Tech degree often show a strong interest in space because this is an exciting engineering domain offering diverse application scenarios where engineering innovations can be applied both terrestrially and extra-terrestrially. Having specialist knowledge in space technology gives graduates an invaluable advantage for securing and following exciting career paths. In fact graduates with competencies in space technology will have opportunities for applying your knowledge to extreme environment scenarios as diverse which can range from exploring the depths of the oceans or the mysteries of outer space as well studying the multitude of planets and solar systems.
Space Technology’s application to B.Tech students
With a B.Tech in space technology, you have endless possibilities for a rewarding career. ISRO and other leading Indian space institutions are growing rapidly and will flood the market with job offers. There is no doubt that there is a high demand for space scientists, and they are primarily hired based on their qualifications, skill sets and specialist domain knowledge. Institutions are always willing to offer you lucrative jobs if you are a passionate space science enthusiast ready to advance the boundaries of technology. For a space technologist, many career opportunities are waiting to be explored. Weather forecasting, remote sensing, satellite television, and long-distance communication systems are some industries with the most in-demand jobs.
Skills a space technologist needs to possess
Space technology is both difficult and exciting – it is all about being a “rocket scientist”!! People who are driven by a desire to understand the universe have what it takes to be astronauts. To be qualified for this position, they must undergo rigorous training and meet specific physical fitness requirements, along with the following skills.
- Analytical skills: The prerequisite for space technology is thinking critically. One can only evaluate the advantages of new technologies for facilitating space explorations meant to explore outer space through analytical skills so all permutations and possible options can be carefully considered and the optimal decisions made.
- Team player: Teamwork is crucial in space technology because it fosters discussion, idea sharing and problem solving even under complex situations and scenarios. Team member suggestions are sometimes subject to debate. In the end, the mission is launched following complete unanimity.
- Mathematically are of mind:On space expeditions, precise calculations must be made. Mathematics is used to plan the paths of rockets, space probes, and satellites. For spacecraft design, variables like location, velocity and acceleration are properly calculated with respect to goals to be reached within time and fuel constraints.
- Practical training: Many reputable organizations offer internships for young people interested in studying space and wanting to gain practical experience. They learn in-depth information about the obligations and duties of a space technologist.
- Leadership skills: In the field of space technology, leadership abilities are highly valued. Someone with outstanding leadership qualities is required for a space mission, so they can take the initiative and see things through to completion even when significant challenges may have to be overcome in run-time.
- emotional intelligence: Space organizations are currently assessing their scientists’ emotional intelligence as individuals may need to work under severe conditions and isolation. Managing people and dealing with emergencies depends heavily on emotional stability and intelligence.
Space technology is currently pushing the boundaries of change and innovation by creating new applications to satisfy the expanding demands and needs. Numerous start-ups have begun to develop components and parts for satellites and vehicles in India to offer space-based services.
Can the likes of Elon Musk be far behind, given the rapid development of space technology? Elon Musk’s SpaceX, a space company, has developed a novel method of sending rockets into space and returning them to the earth by vertically landing them on a concrete pad. No aerospace agency has attempted this major technological leap before.
This cutting-edge technology has significantly reduced rocket launch costs, enhancing space travel and space tourism. Some advances achieved through space technology research include portable cordless vacuums, LED lighting, and freeze-dried foods.
Top recruiters for space tech
Some of the top employers of space technologists include data science companies like Amazon, LinkedIn, and Walmart Labs, as well as space research organizations like ISRO, NASA and ESA. Additionally, ISRO hires B.Tech Aerospace engineering graduates. Additionally, they are given advanced projects. A space technologist’s dream job is to work for these organizations, and a B.Tech in space technology can lead you on to achieving your dreams.
(The author is Professor Gurvinder Singh Virk, Dean, UPES School of Engineering and the views expressed in this article are his own)